Wednesday 25 June 2014

Festival Makeup & Getting Ready Guide 2014

Hello!

Festival season is yet again upon us, one of my most FAVOURITE times of year!  I've been to T In The Park the past two years (where I camped the entire weekend), and Leeds Festival in 2012.  I've experienced torrential rain that led to walking through fields of liquid mud for a whole weekend, (seriously, google 't in the park rain 2012'), and scorching heat that dried the mud into dust leaving a layer of dirt on everyone!

Trying to look good for festivals does require some effort.  Waking up in a tent in a field probably not feeling 100% isn't very nice to say the least but I find that cleaning yourself up and putting some make up on really helps to wake you up and get you even more excited for the day ahead.  I feel like my knowledge or make up products has grown considerably over the past year so using this plus my experience at festivals, here are some tips in the hopes to make it easier for you!

1) Water

Sounds obvious but some people very easily forget to hydrate themselves over the weekend with anything except alcohol.  Boring, but drinking water will make you feel refreshed, your skin will thank you for it and you'll definitely feel better to take on the weekend without the symptoms of dehydration

2) BABY WIPES!

If like me you're too stingey to pay for a Refresh band, baby wipes are an absolute godsend!  They're cheap and will get the dirt off of your body and with a few swipes.  It's far more practical than lugging along a cleanser/toner.  I would however recommend taking a moisturiser!

Boring but essential
3) Sun cream

Last year at T In The Park the sun was beating down from the moment I woke up until it set behind the main stage every night.  I'm always so prepared for every kind of weather at a festival so of course had some Factor 30 with me, the same couldn't be said for a couple of my friends though!  Despite borrowing mine one left with burned & blistered lips, and another had a bright red burn all through her neckline the whole weekend.  Sun cream may be the most important thing you take so make sure its high on your 'to take' list!!



4)  Face coverage
I wouldn't recommend wearing foundation, especially if you're camping the whole weekend.  Baby wipes will definitely not remove every last morsel of it which will lead to your skin and pores feeling clogged, possibly leading to spots.  I prefer to go bare faced with some concealer hiding my dark circles, down the bridge of the nose and any redness on my face.  Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer is brilliant for this.  To warm up my face, I use a Radiance Boost from Virgin Vie.  It instantly makes a
dull festival face seem full of life and I would definitely recommend it.

If you feel like you would prefer base with more coverage than I go for, go for a BB cream with SPF in it - my all time summer favourite would be the Topshop BB Cream with SPF20.  Light, buildable and will protect you from those UV rays.  

5) Eyes

A lot of festival make up tutorials use bright, electric colours on the eyes.  In reality, no one really wants to sit in their tent for an hour perfecting a bold eye look with lots of blending and/or stencils (or at least I certainly don't!).  I tend to opt for cream shadows that are easily blended out with just fingers.  I love a shimmery warm look on the eyes for a festival.  A few of my favourites are Benefit's 'My Two Cents' and 'Birthday Suit', and Maybelline's 'On and On Bronze'.



I would be lost without liquid eyeliner, and because I use it every day I find it easy to line my upper lash line and wing out my eyes in under a minute!  Don't worry if you can't yet, it takes a lot of practice.  My all time favourite is L'oreal's Super Liner Black Eyeliner.  If you prefer a more smudged line to your eyes then you could go for a pencil liner (the Rimmel Scandal Eyes range is superb).  I find gel eyeliner is really fiddly in general, so I would probably avoid it for a festival!

I think a warm shimmery eyeshadow look looks AMAZING with some blue eyeliner in the waterline.  My favourite is a Barry M kohl pencil that I've had for a while now.  I find it's that pop of colour that just brings the whole eye look together.  I've attached a picture below!

Mascara is always a must for me.  This year I will definitely be taking my trusty Maybelline The Falsies to T In The Park!  Personally I avoid waterproof mascara's because they're really hard to take off at night and you will definitely struggle with just baby wipes.  The Falsies is a great mascara and doesn't run down my face!

It's important to keep your eyebrows in check over the weekend so don't forget to pack your tweezers and and eyebrow pencil!

6) Lips

My very well loved lip butter
My perfect lip gloss!
I tend to stay away from bright lip colours and go for more 'your lips but better' shades.  Check out Revlon's Colorburst Lip Butters - I love the shades Berry Smoothie and Pink Truffle.  This year I'm thinking of taking Tanya Burr's Lip Gloss in the shade Aurora because its so natural and really completes a make up look.





I thought I'd show you a look using some of the products mentioned.  It's really natural and pretty and will take you at most 15 minutes!



Keeping products minimal
Products used - 

Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer
Virgin Vie Radiance Boost

Benefit 'My Two Cents'

L'oreal Black Superliner Eyeliner

Make Up Store Brow Pencil No. 3

Barry M Turquoise Kohl Eyeliner

Maybelline The Falsies Mascara

Tanya Burr Lip Gloss in Aurora





 Apologies for the atrocious camera quality

My favourite part about any make up look is the eyes and recently I'm obsessed with a blue waterline!




Zoe x






No comments:

Post a Comment